The Most Holy Mother of God’s Protection Greek-catholic church in Niżny Komárnik in Svidnik poviat was built in 1938. This is the only Boyko church on the Slovakian side of the Carpathians. It was built of wood by local masters on the basis of the project by Ukrainian architect and historian eng. Włodzimierz Siaczyński.
The church covered by shingle roof is based on stone foundations. On the top of cupolas there are pointed towers. In front of the entrance there is a portico with a cross and curved columns.
The interior’s decoration comes from the time when the church was built. In the northern part of the altar there is a small sacristy with separate entrance. The colours are very important here – pale yellow, bright blue and dark red.
The iconostasis brought from Zemplin is likely to come from the workshop of Bohdanski family from the nearby Jasiel village.
The church was damaged during the war actions of autumn 1944, when the front line went through Niżny Komárnik. After renovation in 1946 the monument regained its previous appearance. In the 90s part of iconostasis with apostoles’ images was restored.
Since 1968 the Most Holy Mother of God’s Protection Greek-catholic church has been the national monument.
Local attractions: St Archangel Michael church, St Archangel Michael orthodox church, St Paraskeva orthodox church, St. Francis of Assisi church.