show on map decrease map full screen > <
extend the map >

The St Nicolas church, Presov

In 2008 the St Nicolas church was given the name of co-cathedra. The church, dominating the architecture of Hlavna street in Presov is one of the oldest and most famous monuments in the city. It is worth to climb the tower to admire the magnificent view of Presov. read more

The building of monumental st Nicolas cathedral was finished in 1515. Despite problems and a big fire in 1788, in this late-gothic, three aisle church of hall type many original gothic elements survived – i.e. net vault, windows and portals.

The interior is dominated by the main altar made at the turn of the 15th and 16th centuries.  The altar’s authorship is accredited to a Presov sculptor Jan Weiss. The most valuable elements are three gothic sculptures placed in cubicles of neutral golden background.  In the centre of the altar there is The Mother of God with Child and st Nicolas on her right side. The whole composition is surmounted by the sculpture of The Most Holy Trinity and a medallion with the crest of the town beneath. The crest has been used since 1558.

Some of many sculptures from the beginning of the 16th century survived, like archangel Gabriel, the Crucifixion and a small figure of Pensive Christ from the workshop of Master Pavel. Gothic elements of the interior include also wall paintings from the turn of the 15th and 16th centuries, showing a knight on a horse and women, located on the northern wall of presbytery.

Two organs are placed in the church – the big and the small ones. The first one has 3840 pipes and 29 bells. The instrument, built in 1634 is richly decorated with early-baroque ornaments.

It is also worth to climb the tower to admire the magnificent view of Presov.

Local attractions: Spiš, Spišská Kapitula, st. Vladislavus church, Zapolski chapel

Comments
Login required. Sign in or register now!
Images