Ľutina, situated in the Čergov Mountains, is the most important centre of Marian pilgrimages of Slovak Greek Catholics. Particularly numerous pilgrimages arrive here on 15 August, during the celebrations of the Dormition of the Virgin Mary.
In 1851, St. Mikołaj revealed himself to one of inhabitants of L’utina. He gave her an icon of the Mother of God which was to serve as a model for a painting for the future temple. This event is commemorated by the cross erected nearby.
The hill in L’utina was confirmed in 1855 by Pope Pius IX to be the place of obtaining indulgences. Soon, the chapel devoted to the Assumption of Mary was built here and thousands of pilgrims started arriving at L’utina. Over time, the chapels devoted to the Dormition of the Virgin Mary, St. Anna, St. Cross and St. Mikołaj were built on the hill. In 1908, the wooden Orthodox church was transformed into the stone temple. In 1988, John Paul II raised the temple to the rank of the minor basilica.