The Spišské Podhradie attracts tourists thanks to its attractive situation at the foot of an important monument – the Spiš Castle. In the townlet, many relics of the Jewish culture, including the cemetery and the synagogue, are preserved.
In the past, the Spišské Podhradie was famous for its multinationality. It was inhabited by Slovaks, Germans and since 1840 – also by Jews. The rabbi’s office was created, so were many institutions for the Orthodox community which in 1940 had 458 people. The religious life was concentrated in the synagogue.
Synagogue as a part of the Jewish culture in Slovakia
The synagogue in the Spišské Podhradie was built in 1875 and in the years 1905-1906 was reconstructed due to a fire. Inside, the women’s gallery propped on the piles, Torah ark (Aron Ha-kodesh) and ancient Moorish ceiling paintings are preserved. Currently, the monument is being renovated and used for the purposes of cultural events.
Local attractions: Spiš Castle, Levoča, Spiš